These Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls take all of the components in our Best Breakfast Burrito and unwrap them into one healthy, delicious, spinach and salsa-filled bowl. There are two tasty proteins, densely packed leafy greens, and a smothering amount of your favorite salsa. Plus, everything can be meal prepped ahead of time, so that all you need to do is dish it up and eat whenever and where ever you want.
Choosing your greens
This Easy Vegan Burrito Bowl is really customizable, so throw in handfuls of whatever leafy greens you love most. We always have bags upon bags of spinach in our fridge, so it’s the go-to base for an easy weeknight salad bowl. If you have massaged kale, soft butter lettuce, or anything in between, it will all be delicious.
When substituting kale, definitely go for the massaged version since salsa is your only sauce or dressing in this bowl. Plus, massaged kale is tasty, tender, and AH-mazing in any salad or bowl. To massage kale, simply take the destemmed, clean, dry kale leaves in a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil and lemon juice.
Then, you literally give the kale a “massage” with your hands. Just get in there and rub the oil and lemon juice into every bit of every leaf for 3 minutes or so. Give them a sprinkle of salt and massage again. I like to add granulated garlic at this stage too, but I’m garlic obsessed. You can opt-in or out on that one. Once you’ve massaged the oil, lemon salt, and optional garlic into the kale leaves, they will be softer, more tender, and packed with a delicious flavor base that only gets better with any dressing, sauce, or topping that you add next.
Choosing your proteins
Beyond Meat makes my favorite veggie grounds for this bowl and so much more. There are lots of options out there for veggie grounds though, so use whichever ones you know and love. Depending on the veggie grounds you choose, you may need to season them a little bit more or less to get the best flavor. Beyond Meat Grounds are pretty flavorful on their own, so I only dress them up with a little bit of garlic, paprika, and onion powder to enhance the flavor even more. With any grounds, you can likely skip the salt when adding spices. They all tend to be pretty salty anyway.
Vegan Tofu Scramble is really customizable and really addicting once you get the hang of it. It may take some trial and error to figure out which veggies, spices, and style of tofu you prefer. But once you nail it, it’s amazing. I love to make a tofu scramble with onions, bell peppers, and black salt. Black salt is really the secret ingredient to make it all taste like real scrambled eggs. Also called Kala Namak, black salt contains naturally occurring sulfur compounds that give it a distinctive eggy smell and taste. So, anytime you want to add an eggy flavor to a vegan dish, black salt is your answer.
More delicious vegan recipes (and a few sauces that make excellent Burrito Bowl toppings, too!)
- Sriracha Red Pepper Tofu Dip
- The BEST Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
- Easy Vegan Sour Cream
- Classic Vegan Tacos
If you try these Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls, let us know what you think with a comment or rating below. And check us out on Instagram #plantednoshery. However you found our little slice of the vegan food world, we’re so glad you’re here. We hope you find lots of great recipes and inspiration for your own creations on these pages. Enjoy!
Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls
- 1 batch Vegan Tofu Scrambled "Eggs" see notes for recipe link
- 8 cups Fresh spinach
- 1⅓ cups Salsa
Spiced Vegan "Meat"
- 1 340g Beyond Meat Grounds (1 package) can sub any vegan meatless grounds at the same weight 340g – Gardein and Yves also have delicious options
- ¾ cup Yellow, white or sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Granulated garlic
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- Prepare the Tofu Scramble first, or meal prep it ahead of time. See recipe notes for the link to the full recipe. (Or here: https://plantednoshery.com/2021/03/vegan-tofu-scrambled-eggs )
- While your Tofu Scramble simmers, prepare your Spiced Vegan "Meat" by heating 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once heated for a minute or two, add your finely diced onions to the pan. Cook the onions for ~5 minutes or until browned and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Then, add your vegan meat grounds of choice. I used Beyond Meat in this recipe, but Yves, Gardein and many more options are available and work equally well. Use whichever brand you prefer. Once the veggie grounds are in the pan, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break them up into small pieces that resemble the Tofu Scramble.
- Sprinkle the garlic, paprika and onion powder over the veggie grounds as they cook, and stir well to combine. Continue cooking the veggie grounds for ~5 minutes or until they begin to brown on the edges while remaining juicy in the middle. Overcooking will dry them out, so stir frequently and remove the pan from the heat once they're ready.
- Divide the spinach into 4 bowls and top each with ⅓ cup of salsa. Then divide the Tofu Scrambled "Eggs" and Spiced Vegan "Meat" evenly between the bowls, on top of the spinach.
Leave a Reply