These Best Vegan Chocolate Waffles are rich and chocolatey, yet light and fluffy. They are soft and moist in the middle, with a crisp outer shell. And adding brewed coffee into the batter amps up the chocolate flavor in every bite.
To keep your waffles light and fluffy, resist the urge to overmix your batter. I know, I know… it’s easy to get carried away with the whisk. There’s something really satisfying about beating a batter together. But, small lumps can actually be good for a waffle batter. They indicate that the batter hasn’t been overmixed. And, they flatten out in the cooking process anyway. So your waffles don’t actually come out with lumps in them.
Overmixing develops the gluten in the flour and makes for chewy, dense waffles. It’s why we knead bread – because we want to develop that chewy texture. For waffles, however, light, fluffy, and a “just” mixed batter is the way to go.
How to make them
Start with preparing your flax eggs and preheating your waffle iron to 400F. Then, stir your dry ingredients together in a bowl. Stir your cane sugar into the dry flour mixture, and then create a well in the dry ingredients. Add all of your wet ingredients into that well – coffee, plant-based milk, flax eggs, vanilla, and oil. Whisk the batter until it has “just” combined, and remember small lumps are fine. Just throttle back, fight the urge, and don’t overmix.
Every waffle iron will take a different amount of batter. Trial and error with your specific waffle maker really works best. Just remember that the waffles will expand with cooking. So to begin, be careful not to overfill your waffle iron. It’s pretty messy to clean up, and it gets in the way of cooking the rest of your batter. I suggest starting by filling each waffle mold 2/3 full on the bottom plate. And using a measuring cup to fill the bottom mold is the way to go.
These Best Vegan Chocolate Waffles are
- Crisp on the outside
- Easy to make
More delicious vegan recipes
- Best Vegan Lemon Bars – No Bake, GF
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls – Vegan, GF
- Vegan Toasted Coconut Pancakes
- Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes
- The BEST Vegan Bagels
If you try these waffles, let us know what you think! Leave a comment or rating below, and show us how it went on Instagram #plantednoshery. However, your found our little slice of the food blog world, we’re so happy you’re here. We hope you find this recipe and many more within these pages to be awesome and inspiring of your own ideas, in your own kitchens. Enjoy!
Best Vegan Chocolate Waffles
- 2⅓ cups All purpose flour 280g
- 1 cup Freshly brewed coffee can sub and additional cup of plant based milk if omitting coffee
- 1 cup Plant based milk
- 2 Flax eggs see notes
- ½ cup Olive oil
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- ¼ cup Organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- Prepare your flax eggs – see notes below
- Preheat your waffle iron to 400°F
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa) and use a whisk to stir until well combined.
- Add the milk, coffee, oil, sugar, vanilla and prepared flax eggs to the dry ingredients, and whisk until well combined – but resist the urge to overmix!
- Spray or brush your waffle iron with oil to prevent sticking, and scoop your batter into the waffle iron. Each waffle iron will hold a different amount of batter, so you may need to experiment with the first waffle or two, to find the right amount of batter per waffle. My Cuisinart 4 Waffle plates hold ⅓ – ½ cup of batter per waffle. These waffle puff up A LOT during cooking, so add less batter at first, and go up from there if needed, or they will spill over during the first few minutes of cooking.
- Cook about 6 minutes, or until light brown and crisp on the outside. The waffles should pull away easily from the waffle iron when they're finished cooking. Repeat cooking steps until all of the batter is used – including oiling the waffle iron between each waffle.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, coconut cream or any of your other favorite toppings and Enjoy!
Leave a Reply