Egg salad, anyone? Yes, please. So many times, yes, yes…. yes to egg salad! This Vegan Tofu Egg Salad is the real deal. It’s eggy, creamy, tangy, and has that occasional crunch from fresh, crisp green onions. But the most amazing thing about this egg salad – the TEXTURE. You won’t believe it’s not mashed up, hardboiled eggs. It’s almost a little bit weird when you’re eating because your brain is telling you that it’s tofu, but your mouth is telling you that it’s eggs.
Eggs were the last thing we gave up when transitioning to a vegan diet. I’ve always been a big baker, and all of my go-to recipes used eggs without fail. Scrambled eggs were, for many years, the only thing I could actually cook. And egg salad was one of the only sandwiches I could make and still eat at gatherings when everything else was layered with different cuts of meat and cheese.
For many reasons, eggs were probably the most difficult thing to replace and cut out of our daily menus. And while most dishes in a traditional diet aren’t appealing to my taste buds, just the smell of egg salad still makes my mouth water.
How to Make Vegan Tofu Egg Salad
So let’s start with remembering how time-consuming it is to make traditional egg salad. You have to hard boil the eggs (and google “how long to hard boil eggs” because no one hard boils eggs often enough to remember that). Then you have to carefully place each egg into the pot with a feather-like touch, and somehow that egg still splits open and oozes filmy egg whites all out of the sides and into the water.
And then after all of that, you have to prepare the ice bath so that when you remove the eggs at exactly 12 minutes they can be submerged in freezing cold water. That just MIGHT give you a chance at peeling them in under 5 minutes apiece, and without losing what precious little egg whites remain. If you haven’t hard-boiled eggs for a while – doesn’t that make you miss it?
Vegan Tofu Egg Salad skips all of that and just gets straight to the good stuff. Open the tofu, squeeze out some water, crumble it into the mayo mixture, and stir. Done and done. Congratulations, you’re eating delicious tofu egg salad in less time than it used to take you to boil an egg!
This Vegan Tofu Egg Salad is
- Mixed with crisp green onions
- “Eggy” (don’t skip the Black Salt for this flavor)
- Easy to make
- Perfect for meal prep
- A dead ringer for the original
More Vegan Recipes are right here
- Miso Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Easy Chickpea Flour Omelettes
- 4 Ingredient Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Creamy Vegan Red Pepper Sauce – made with Cauliflower and loaded with veggies
If you make this Vegan Tofu Egg Salad, let us know how it went! Leave us a comment or rating below, or show us your stuff on Instagram #plantednoshery. Thanks for your support in visiting our little vegan food blog. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do – Enjoy!
Vegan Tofu Egg Salad
- 1 block Medium firm tofu, drained and hand pressed see notes
- 5 tbsp Vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1 tsp Black salt
- ½ tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 bunch Green onion, chopped optional (~1 cup)
- Add the mayo, mustard, black salt and granulated garlic to a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Crumble the tofu into the mayo mixture by using your fingers to break it apart into small pieces that resemble scrambled eggs.
- Add the chopped green onions, if desired.
- Fold the tofu and green onions into the mayo mixture until evenly coated.
- Serve as a sandwich, wrap or use to top crackers or tortilla chips. This versatile tofu egg salad is ready to go. Enjoy!