Vegan Breaded Lemon Chickpeas are easy to make, tangy with just a hint of sweet and breaded with protein rich almond flour. They are my answer to Lemon Chicken – a former favorite dish at Chinese food restaurants.
There were some top-notch Chinese restaurants nearby when I was growing up. They served all of the classic, North American Style Chinese dishes like Lemon Chicken and Ginger Beef. All of the sticky, sweet, tangy sauces are as addicting as they are delicious. And all items that are nowhere to be found on menus once you actually get to China. But here, they’re what we all know, love and order again and again.
For these Vegan Breaded Lemon Chickpeas, I wanted to make them healthier. But still just as lemony and delicious as the original breaded chicken from my favorite Chinatown dinner spot. Almond flour kept them gluten-free, and fresh lemon zest added an even brighter flavor. And baking over frying is an everyday choice we opt for over and over again. Not only is it healthier, but it’s easier too.
How to make them
Only 3 ingredients needed to make these Breaded Lemon Chickpeas. One happens to be a batch of Asian Inspired Lemon Sauce that can be meal prepped ahead of time. Or make it on the fly since it’s incredibly easy and takes just lemons, sugar, and water to achieve.
Once you have your lemon sauce, just toss it with chickpeas and almond flour. Bake the coated chickpeas in the oven for about 15 minutes, and you’ve got a perfect protein for rice bowls, noodle bowls, salads, wraps, or (my favorite) just to eat all on their own.
These Vegan Breaded Lemon Chickpeas are
- Asian inspired
More delicious vegan recipes
- Vegan Multigrain Garlic Biscuits
- Sriracha Red Pepper Tofu Dip
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- The BEST Vegan Bagels
- Easy Crumbled Tofu Lasagna
If you make these Vegan Breaded Lemon Chickpeas, we would love to see your results! Leave us a comment or rating below, and show us your stuff on Instagram #plantednoshery. We hope these chickpeas satisfy your Chinese-style lemon sauce cravings, just as it has for us – Enjoy!
Vegan Breaded Lemon Chickpeas – Asian Inspired
- 4 cups Chickpeas, cooked, drained and rinsed *or canned drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Almond flour
- 1 batch Simple Lemon Sauce – Asian Inspired see notes below for link to recipe
- Preheat your oven to 425°F
- Toss your chickpeas in the almond flour until evenly coated, then add the lemon sauce and toss again until evenly coated
- Scrape out the chickpeas and sauce onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 15-18 minutes (until slightly browned, but do not overcook or they'll dry out)
- Serve alone, as a side, on top of a rice bowl or just eat them as a snack! Enjoy!