These Healthy Vegan Breakfast Bars are packed with whole grain oats, minimally sweetened, and absolutely bursting with berries. We love to make these breakfast bars on the weekend, and snack on them all throughout the day. They’re easy to make and take only 9 everyday ingredients to get from the pantry to Breakfast Bar perfection.
One of my favorite things about these breakfast bars is that they’re really low on the sweet side of things. Most of the sweetness comes from overripe bananas, while the berries need just 1/4 cup of cane or coconut sugar to balance out their tartness. Just make sure your bananas are brown and spotty! Green or yellow bananas will make a noticeable difference in the finished bars, and they won’t be as tasty.
How To Make Healthy Vegan Breakfast Bars
First, get out a large mixing bowl and mash those overripe bananas into a soupy, sloppy, only slightly chunky banana puree. A pastry cutter is my tool of choice here, but a potato masher or fork work just fine. Then, add your melted coconut oil into the banana mash and stir it together well. Add the rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on top, and use your spatula or wooden spoon to give those dry ingredients a little stir together on top, before folding them into the wet banana mixture.
Scrape half of the mixture into a lined 9″ square baking pan or brownie pan. Spread it out and pack it down into an even layer, pushing it into the corners evenly as well. Next, mix up the triple berry filling and dish it all out on top of the packed down banana oat layer. Use a spoon or spatula to spread it out evenly, and then add the other half of the banana oat mixture on top. Pack it down over the top of the berry mixture, and pop that big ‘ol pan of deliciousness into your preheated oven for about half an hour.
My bars were perfect at around 33 minutes, but we all know that not all ovens are created equally. So watch for the top and edges to be browning, and the center to look just a little bit less set than the edges. The residual heat will finish off the cooking in the center as the bars cool down and set outside of the oven.
If you can resist, let the bars cool completely to set. They will stay together when cooled, and hold their shape like any baked bar should do. But we rarely can resist how amazing these healthy breakfast bars smell when they’re fresh out of the oven. They’re just oh so warm and gooey. We usually dig right in, spoons in hand, no bowls required.
These Healthy Vegan Breakfast Bars are
- Whole grain
- Use easy everyday ingredients
- Full of berries
- Minimally sweetened
- Easy to make
- Delicious for breakfast, snacks, or as a healthy dessert
More delicious vegan recipes
- Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Coconut No Bake Cookies
- Triple Berry Vegan Muffins
- Vegan Cinnamon Toast Crepes
If you make these Healthy Vegan Breakfast Bars, let us know how it went! Leave a comment or rating below, and show us your stuff on Instagram #plantednoshery. These breakfast bars are a staple in our house, and we really hope you love them just as much as we do – Enjoy!
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Bars – Triple Berry, GF
Oat Crust and Topping
- 5 cups Rolled oats 500g
- 4 Ripe, spotty bananas (mashed) ~420g
- ½ cup Coconut oil (melted) 110g
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon optional
- ¾ tsp Sea salt
Triple Berry Filling
- 5 cups Frozen triple berry blend 560g
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot powder can sub cornstarch or tapioca starch
- ¼ cup Organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9×9 Square Baking Pan with parchment paper.
- Mash your bananas in a large mixing bowl until they are runny with only small chunks remaining. Add your melted coconut oil to the bananas and stir to combine.
- Add the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt on top of the banana mixture, and give the dry ingredients a stir on top to spread out the baking powder and salt. Then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until evenly combined.
- Spread half of the oat crust mixture evenly over the bottom of the lined baking pan. Pack it down with the back of your spatula, and push it into the corners evenly.
- Prepare your filling by combining all of your "Berry Filling" ingredients into a bowl. Stir well and then scrape the filling out onto the bottom oat crust layer in the lined baking pan. Spread out the berries to cover the oat crust in an even layer.
- Then, scrape out the remainder of the oat crust topping over the berries. Use the back of your spatula again to pack it down tightly over top of the berries.
- Place the baking pan into your preheated oven and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven when the middle of the bars looks set, but slightly more moist than the edges. Do not overbake, or the oats will dry out quickly. The bars will set as they cool.
- Let the bars cool completely to set firmly if you want to be able to pick them up and eat on the go. Or dig in while they're still warm for a comforting treat. Enjoy!