I’m doing a little dance here because this is a recipe that I’m really excited to share. It took some tweaking and some trial and error. But in the end, we got 5 out of 5 of us loving this Vegan Chocolate Frosting, and it’s the healthiest version I’ve ever made.
Let’s begin with the more unusual ingredients for a frosting recipe, which include coconut flour and almond butter. Fiber and protein in a frosting recipe? Yes, please! Not only do these key ingredients add to the health factor, but they also help this pipe-able frosting keep its made-for-decorating shape. It’s safe to say this Healthier Vegan Chocolate Frosting will definitely be making appearances on our cakes, cookies, and cupcakes for years to come.
My favorite thing about this frosting besides the delicious chocolatey flavor is that it pipes perfectly. These cupcakes were piped with my Wilton 1M large open star tip. I wasn’t sure if it was possible to get the icing to pipe like this without using vegan butter or shortening. So I’m happy to report that it’s not only possible but healthier and tasty, too.
Since there is coconut oil in this frosting, putting it in the fridge firms it up considerably. Even a bit more than traditional butter-based frosting. It’s still ready to eat from the fridge. But if you’re looking to use a batch from the fridge for more decorating, you’ll need to let it warm up slightly, and whip it again with a hand or stand mixer.
This Healthier Vegan Chocolate Frosting is…
- Stiff for piping
- Minimally sweetened
- Perfect for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies and more
- Strong when chilled to stand up to all your layered cakes
- Healthier than any frosting we’ve ever made before
More delicious vegan recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Peanut Cookies
- Ginger Cookie Dough Balls
- Vegan No Bake Peanut Butter Date Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
And be sure to try this rich and creamy frosting on our Vegan Chocolate Muffins!
If you try this Healthier Vegan Chocolate Frosting, let us know what you think with a rating or in the comments below. We love to see your results on Instagram too #plantednoshery. We hope this frosting has added another delicious option to your baked favorites – Enjoy!
Healthier Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- ¼ cup Coconut oil, solid
- 3-4 tbsp Plant Based Milk as needed
- 6 tbsp Icing sugar, sifted to taste
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- ½ tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Add the coconut oil (solid), vanilla, almond butter and plant based milk to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer on low to combine it, then sift in the cocoa and icing sugar, and add the coconut flour. Whip on high until fluffy.
- Add more plant based milk or icing sugar as needed, being careful not to thin out the frosting too much. You want it to be thick enough to hold its shape when piping or frosting.
- Use to frost your favorite cakes, cupcakes or cookies. This icing will hold its shape when put through a piping bag. It should be used to decorate immediately after making. Store in the fridge in an airtight container, and use a hand mixer to whip it up again to continue decorating. Enjoy!