We look forward to Sunday morning pancakes every week. I love to test new pancake recipes on the weekend like Vegan Spelt Flour Pancakes. And everyone loves tasting the results! During the week we opt for healthier toppings like nut butters or fruit. But on the weekend, we treat ourselves to maple syrup.
When my husband and I first met, I didn’t cook. I had 1 breakfast meal in my arsenal – scrambled eggs. And I was butchering them in hindsight! Now that I finally know how to cook scrambled eggs properly, I don’t find them appetizing at all. Give me a tofu scramble any day! Pancakes, on the other hand, I still find highly appetizing. A light fluffy pancake makes my day. After all, it’s basically cake for breakfast.
I’ve always liked to make pancakes from scratch. Growing up, we always made Bisquick pancakes from the box. Pre-packaged foods were at their peak popularity back then. The focus was on convenience instead of health. Now, I always prefer real ingredients and avoid processed foods. It gives us more control over what we put into our bodies.
So Many Toppings
Vegan Spelt Flour Pancakes are fantastic served with maple syrup. They are also delicious when topped with nut butters or jam. My kids love them with a bit of vegan butter, then sprinkled with coconut sugar and cinnamon. We call them Cinnamon Toast Pancakes! Fresh raspberries and whipped coconut cream are my personal favorite. I’ve also tried blueberries in the recipe which yields an extremely tasty result. If using bananas though, I would add them as a topping because when added to the batter they tend to stick even to an oiled non-stick cooktop.
I’ve made many different vegan pancake recipes. There are some really delicious options out there. But when I came up with this recipe, I wanted something that was not only vegan but oil-free as well. The spelt flour keeps the pancakes really light. The peanut butter adds protein. The flaxseed acts as a binder with a healthy punch. The sweet maple syrup is kept to a minimum. And no carnivores at our table have ever guessed that they were vegan.
More Vegan Pancakes and Compotes
- Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pancakes
- Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes
- Toasted Coconut Pancakes
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Cinnamon Toast Vegan Waffles
So here they are. Our favorite Vegan Spelt Flour Pancakes. Let us know what you think in the comments below, leave a rating or show us on Instagram #plantednoshery. Enjoy!
Vegan Spelt Flour Pancakes
- 1½ cup Spelt Flour 210g
- 2 tbsp Organic cane sugar 28g
- 1⅓ cup Plant Based Milk I use organic soy but any plant based milk will do
- ¼ cup Olive oil 55g
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder 30g
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat skillet or flat cook top to 400°F
- Mix together plant based milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, sift together spelt flour, sea salt, cane sugar and baking powder
- Continue whisking and pour wet mixture over sifted dry ingredients
- Whisk together the wet and dry ingredients just until there are no lumps, without overmixing
- Optional: Let batter sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to let more airy bubbles develop for even lighter, fluffier pancakes
- Pour batter onto preheated skillet or cook top using a ¼ measuring cup as a scoop (spray or grease the cooking surface beforehand if not using non-stick)
- Cook ~3-4 minutes per side first flipping once air bubbles begin to form and pop on the batter surface. Then cook and additional 3 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown. Continue cooking until all the batter has been used.
- Serve immediately with choice of topping and Enjoy!