Coconut quinoa is bright, creamy, and easy to make. It has a tropical feel and is reminiscent of Southeast Asian cuisine. It’s also incredibly nutritious. Quinoa is high in iron, B vitamins, all 9 essential amino acids, and protein.
In Coconut Quinoa, the lemons add a bright, tangy flavor while the coconut cream is lusciously rich and decadent. And it’s just as easy to make as regular quinoa, with only a few simple tweaks.
There are 2 important components that make Coconut Quinoa stand out. The first is lemon zest. Lemon juice alone works in a pinch. But to get the full flavor, lemon zest is a must. It’s what brightens and lightens this creamy base and it really shines through in the end.
The second is coconut cream. To get the real deal cream you need full fat coconut milk in a can. Some canned coconut milks are watered down, so for the best Coconut Quinoa, you’ll need a can like the one below. It has a thick layer of coconut cream on the top half and a thin translucent bottom liquid layer. My favorite brand is Thai Kitchen in the red can. You might need to try a few different brands before you find one that’s truly creamy. Just make sure it doesn’t say “light” on the label or you’ll be getting more coconut water than coconut milk.
How it’s made
Coconut quinoa is made the same way as regular quinoa with the addition of a can of coconut milk and lemon juice + zest. Add all of the ingredients to a pot, and bring everything to a boil. Then, give it a stir, place a lid on the pot and turn it down to a simmer for 18-20 minutes.
Once your quinoa is cooked, you can use a fork to fluff it up. Check the bottom of the pot for any remaining liquid. If the brand of coconut milk you used was watery, there may be some liquid still at the bottom of the pot. If so, simply turn up the heat to medium-medium high, take the lid off, and let the excess water cook-off.
Keep a close eye and stir often to avoid burning the quinoa on the bottom of the pot as you do this. It’s a simple fix that doesn’t take long, but don’t take your eyes off the pot or you’ll likely end up with a crispy brown layer of quinoa at the bottom. (Which is also actually quite delicious!)
This Coconut Quinoa is
- Simple to make
- Bright and light
- Delicious on its own or in your favorite BOWL!
We love Coconut Quinoa in these chickpea and spinach bowls (above) with Spicy Red Pepper Tofu Sauce.
More delicious recipes are found right here
- Pumpkin Spice Cookie Dough Balls – Raw, No Bake
- Maple Smoked Instant Pot Potatoes
- Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad
- Healthy Freezer Fudge – 3 Ingredients
If you make this Coconut Quinoa, let us know how it went! Drop us a comment below and like or tag us on Instagram #plantednoshery. We appreciate your feedback – Enjoy!
- 1½ cups Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 400ml Can of full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup Water
- ½ Lemon, zest
- ½ Lemon, juice ~1½ tbsp
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients into a lidded pot. Leave the lid off, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and place the lid on top of the pot. Let simmer with the lid on for 18-20 minutes.
- Depending on the type of coconut milk used, there might be liquid leftover in the bottom of the pot after 20 minutes. If there is liquid left in the bottom of your pot, turn the heat up to medium and leave the lid off. The extra water will cook off in just a few minutes, but keep a close eye on it and keep stirring or the bottom layer of quinoa will burn. Cook and keep stirring until any extra liquid has evaporated.
- Stir well, and your Coconut Quinoa is ready to serve. Enjoy!