Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats are pretty much as easy, nutritious, and hassle-free as breakfast can get. But… they’re also whole grain, take just 5 minutes to prep, and are deliciously customizable. No cooking is required, and oats left overnight to soak are ready to eat straight from the fridge in the morning. That’s easier than pouring a bowl of cereal.
Some people have trouble digesting raw oats – me included. So even though oat flour or rolled/quick-cooking oats are safe to eat without cooking, they can cause uncomfortable digestive issues for some. Luckily, soaking oats has the same effect on oats as cooking. Soaking neutralizes the natural phytic acid and helps break down the starches, making them easier to digest. And therefore more friendly to sensitive stomachs.
- Rolled oats – Also called Old Fashioned Oats. Steel-cut oats won’t soften nicely with soaking alone. And Quick Cooking Oats will get too soggy. Rolled Oats give a creamy texture with soaking making them the perfect choice.
- Plant-based milk – I’ve always used Soy or Almond Milk for this recipe, and both are equally delicious. Use any plant-based milk you like, and consider that any sweetness (or lack of sweetness) in the milk will impact the flavor of your oats.
- Organic cane sugar – Coconut sugar is also delicious in this recipe. I have made it both ways more times than I can count, and love them both equally. Almost any sugar can be substituted easily here.
- Dairy-free chocolate chips – The Enjoy Life brand mini chocolate chips are our favorite, and the mini size means the chocolate makes its way into every bite.
- Vanilla (optional) – Not necessary, but just as in chocolate chip cookies – it has a big flavor impact for just a few drops.
We love to add extra almond milk over our soaked oats the next morning – just like cereal.
These Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats are
- Slightly sweet
- Prepped in just 5 minutes
- Whole grain
- Made with just 4 Everyday Ingredients
More Delicious Easy Vegan Recipes
- Healthy 3 Ingredient Vegan Freezer Fudge
- Caramelized Onion Tofu Cream Cheese
- Double Chocolate Granola
- Perfect Vegan Aquafaba Waffles
If you make these Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats, let us know what you think with a rating, or in the comments below. And show us your stuff on Instagram #plantednoshery. We hope these easy overnight oats add some ease, variety, and deliciousness to your morning routine – Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
- 1½ cups Rolled oats 150g
- 1 cup Plant based milk 250g
- 2 tbsp Organic cane sugar 28g
- 2 tbsp Dairy free chocolate chips 30g
- ½ tsp Vanilla optional
- Add all ingredients to an airtight container and mix until well combined.
- Place the lid on the container and let soak in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, they're ready to eat. Enjoy!