Ok, it’s time for a staple recipe – The Best 4 Ingredient Guacamole. A tried and true favorite. One that our 2-year-old LIVES on whenever we make it. And the recipe that made me crave guacamole when I’d previously only tolerated it. This is the oh so simple, 4 Ingredient, crave-worthy, goes-with-everything Guacamole.
First of all, I should confess something Guac-related: I don’t like Cilantro. I can’t stand to eat even a smidge of it. So this 4 Ingredient Guacamole definitely omits the much-beloved Cilantro that is a staple in so many salsas, guacamole, and more.
HOWEVER… you can certainly add it if you’re a cilantro lover (I’m sure you’re in the majority). I won’t even guess at how much you should add because as an anti-fan I’m completely unqualified to do so – but adding a small bit at a time and tasting as you go is pretty much the rule of thumb in general with guacamole since avocados come in all shapes and sizes.
Mashing and Smashing
In my kitchen, nothing beats a pastry cutter for the perfect Guacamole. I’ve tried mashers, forks, even a food processor once (wasn’t a fan – it was too easy to lose the chunky texture). But there’s just something about the pastry cutter that breaks up the soft, ripe avocado flesh into a perfectly chunky yet creamy dip. My knuckles tend to get covered because we make guac by the double batch around here. But it’s even more fun when things get a little bit messy.
Avocados – choose ripe avocados that are slightly soft when you press your thumb into their outer, darkened skin. Here is a video demonstration of how to safely cut and peel an avocado.
Onion – I have used yellow, white, and sweet onions will surprisingly similar results. Red onions changed the flavor quite a bit, but if you’re a red onion fan, maybe you want to give it a try. The trick is dicing the onions very finely so that they really mix in with the avocado.
Lime Juice – Fresh is always best, but we’ve all used the concentrated stuff in a bottle in a pinch. It makes a fairly big difference in the taste, but when your avocados are ripe it’s just important to use them up while they’re perfect.
Salt – Add the salt in stages so you can Salt To Taste. Sea salt acts like little mirrors for all of the flavors in Guacamole – it multiplies them and makes this the best guacamole base we’ve ever tried.
Optional add-ins: Cilantro, fresh chopped cherry tomatoes (not a watery variety), roasted corn, pepper, cumin or garlic.
More Delicious Vegan Recipes
If you try this easy, awesome 4 Ingredient Guacamole, let us know what you think in the comments below, with a rating, or show us on Instagram #plantednoshery. We want to see what you made! Enjoy!
Best 4 Ingredient Guacamole
- 4 Avocados, ripe medium sized or 3 large ones
- 1 Onion, small, diced ~1 cup diced
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop out the ripe, tender flesh into a bowl.
- Add the salt, lime juice and finely diced onion.
- Use a pastry blender or potato masher to mix, mash and combine all ingredients thoroughly. Keep mashing and mixing until you reach the desired level of chunkiness in your guacamole.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Avocados vary a lot in size, so each batch may need to be adjusted slightly in the salt and lime juice to get it just right.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days for best results. Use plastic wrap placed directly on the guacamole to prevent air from touching the avocado base. Air will cause it to brown. Then seal the entire container.