This 4 Ingredient Asian Inspired Lemon Sauce is so simple and so delicious. It is our version of the famous Lemon Chicken sauce found in most Chinese food restaurants. It’s tangy, sticky, lemony, and delicious. We’ve toned down the sweetness, dropped the artificial coloring, and added real lemon juice and zest to make this a healthier option for chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, and more.
One of my favorite dishes at Chinese restaurants was Lemon Chicken. It’s sweet but tangy, sticky but not too heavy, and just so addictingly delicious. And the best part? It’s super simple to make. The key is not to overdo the starch, use fresh lemon juice, and add a bit of the zest to amp up that lemon tangy flavor. It’s also great on stovetop and oven-baked recipes.
Water – Just half a cup of water is needed as the base for each batch of sauce.
Lemon – Use the lemon juice from 3 large lemons, plus the zest from half a lemon for the tangy, citrusy flavor. Lemons come in all sizes though, so add more or each in small quantities (to taste) if you find your sauce isn’t “lemony” enough.
Organic Cane Sugar – This was our favorite option for adding sweetness to this recipe, but your could sub in granulated. Choosing a light-colored sweetener keeps the overall color of the sauce light, bright, and looking lemony. We’ve gone with the bare minimum for a not-too-sweet, healthier version of the normally sugar-loaded sauce. Add more to taste, if you like your sauce sweet.
Arrowroot Starch – Cornstarch or tapioca starch will also work. Only a tablespoon is needed to thicken this amount of sauce. Adding too much will make it slimy, so give it time to reduce over the heat instead of adding more. Be sure to whisk it into 1tbsp of water before adding it to the sauce.
This Asian Inspired Lemon Sauce is
- Easy to make
- Asian inspired
- Made with 4 Everyday Ingredients
More Vegan Deliciousness
- Simple Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pancakes
- Buffalo Cauliflower Wings – Vegan
If you make this Asian Inspired Lemon Sauce, let us know! Leave us a comment with your favorite protein to mix with this delicious sauce! Or rate the recipe and show us your stuff on Instagram #plantednoshery. Enjoy!
Asian Inspired Lemon Sauce – Vegan
- ½ cup Water + 2 tbsp
- ½ cup Lemon juice
- 4-5 tbsp Organic cane sugar to taste
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot starch
- Combine ½ cup water, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a small pot and stir together over medium heat
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tbsp water with 2 tbsp Arrowroot starch and whisk until smooth
- Reduce lemon & sugar mixture for ~ 5 minutes, until bubbling and slightly thicker
- Pour in arrowroot and water mixture and whisk to combine smoothly
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes as it thickens, and remove from heat when sauce has reached the consistency you want
- Serve over rice bowls, toss to coat (or bake) with chickpeas, tofu etc. or use any way you would a Chinese Lemon Sauce. Enjoy!