These Vegan Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes are bright, tangy, light, fluffy, and healthy! (Thank you Whole Grain Spelt Flour.)
We keep pancakes in the freezer pretty much all the time. They’re our homemade, healthier version of buying frozen waffles. And they work just as well! We try to keep all of our pancake and waffle recipes light, for exactly this reason. (Plus they taste soooo good when they’re light and fluffy.) But a light fluffy pancake toasts up to pancake perfection when you’re ready for a quick mid-week breakfast on the go. Simply pop it in the toaster, just like toast or an Eggo.
Your batter for these lemony delicious pancakes will be light and airy. No one needs another dense, hockey puck pancake in their life. So using a cooking spray or brush or olive oil on your nonstick cooking surface really helps them not to stick, and stay light, fluffy and perfect.
What goes with Vegan Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes? Easy Lemon Strawberry Compote, of course! We love this bright and sweet yet tangy compote on these healthy pancakes.
Why Spelt Flour?
Whole Grain Spelt Flour scores high on nutrition, just like whole-grain wheat flour. Whole Wheat doesn’t always mean whole grain though, so check your label to make sure your flours include the Germ and Bran. That’s what makes flour “Whole Grain”.
Whole Grain Spelt Flour is lighter than Whole Grain Wheat Flour, which is why we prefer it. I have a bag of freshly ground whole grain wheat flour that bakes up like a small brick. It’s super healthy, but unfortunately, it’s also super dense and heavy. Not usually a crowd pleaser – and definitely not a kid-pleaser! Spelt flour is lighter and more palatable so that everyone still likes the flavor of the pancakes while getting their healthy whole grains.
These Vegan Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes are
- Whole Grain Healthy
- Freezer Friendly
- Perfect with Lemon Strawberry Compote
More Vegan Pancake Recipes
- Chocolate Coconut Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Vegan Toasted Coconut Pancakes
- 4 Ingredient Simple Vegan Crepes
If you make these Vegan Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes, let us know how it went! Drop us a comment below and like or tag us on Instagram #plantednoshery. We appreciate your feedback! Enjoy!
Vegan Lemon Spelt Flour Pancakes
- 1½ cups Spelt flour 210g
- 1 cup Plant based milk I used soy milk – sub whatever you have on hand
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Organic cane sugar 30g
- 2 tbsp Baking powder
- 2 Lemons, juiced ~ 6 tbsp
- 1 Lemon, zest ~ 2 tsp
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- Add the spelt flour, cane sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.Add the milk, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest to the dry ingredients and whisk until JUST combined evenly – resist the temptation to overmix! Preheat your non stick pan over medium heat and brush or spray with oil to reduce sticking. If using a griddle, preheat to 400°F and brush or spray with oil. Let your batter sit while your pan or griddle heats up. This gives them a fluffier texture and let's the baking powder get to work.Scoop out ⅓ cup at a time for each pancake and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. You'll know they're ready to flip when the little air bubbles that appear in the uncooked batter, begin to pop.Repeat cooking until all of the batter has been used up. Serve immediately with maple syrup, our Easy Lemon Strawberry Compote, or your other favorite pancake toppings.Freeze any uneaten pancakes for ~1 month. Pop the frozen pancake into your toaster to heat it up when you're ready to eat!