These Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pancakes are begging to make their way into weekend breakfast routines everywhere. I mean, what better excuse is there to eat chocolate before 10 am?
The way these pancakes come together is chocolatey, coconutty heaven. They’re light and fluffy, while still bringing the perfect amount of chocolate and TOASTED coconut into every bite. It’s that toasted coconut layer that makes all the difference. Let us show you the way…
So, the coconut isn’t just mixed into the batter?
Nope! Please don’t mix the shredded coconut into the batter. I know almost everyone has clicked “Jump to Recipe” already, so I’ll say it again down there. But if you’re still with me here, the coconut tastes better toasted! Mixing it into the batter kind of lets the chocolate take over and they become chocolate pancakes with some chewy little flecks.
The best way we’ve found is to pour out the batter for as many pancakes as you can make at one time. Let the batter cook for about a minute so that it begins to set, but it still wet and sticky on the raw-side-up. Then, sprinkle as much coconut as you can make stick onto that wet batter side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, and then flip.
When you flip the pancake, all that coconut goes straight onto the hot cooking surface and the coconut gets “toasted”! It really makes a difference. We’ve tried it both ways a few times, and the toasted coconut layer can’t be beaten. The flavor is so much more intense, and the coconut really comes through with the chocolate in delicious pancake perfection.
These Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pancakes are:
- Light and fluffy
- Vegan, Nut free, Oil Free
- Freeze well and toast back to perfection!
- Big time kid pleasers (though chocolate for breakfast is an adult pleaser, too)
- Go perfectly with coconut whipped cream!
Want more breakfast deliciousness? We’ve got a few ideas you might like:
- 4 Ingredient Simple Vegan Crepes
- Perfect Vegan Aquafaba Waffles
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (Healthy)
- The BEST Vegan Bagels
So here they are, our simply delicious Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pancakes. We hope you love them as much as we do! If you make them, show us your results below! Enjoy!
Chocolate Coconut Vegan Pancakes
- Non stick frying pan or flat top griddle
- Mixing bowl with whisk and spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups Soy or almond milk sub any plant based milk
- ¼ cup Organic cane sugar
- 1 Flax egg, prepared
- ½ cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp flaxseed with 3 tbsp water and set aside at least 5 minutes
- Whisk together soy milk, vanilla and cane sugar
- Stir in flax egg once it has sat for 5 minutes and become gel-like in consistency
- Sift in flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Whisk until combined then stop so you don't overmix the batter
- Heat the pan or griddle to 400°F or medium/medium high heat
- Grease pan with spray or olive oil and a pastry brush
- Scoop out ½ cup per pancake onto the cooking surface and sprinkle coconut on the raw side of the pancake batter
- Cook for 3 minutes or until small air bubbles forming on the raw batter side begin to pop
- Cooke 3-4 minutes on the other side
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month – they toast up deliciously!
Leave a Reply