I LOVED egg salad when I was a kid. It was easy, delicious and one of the sandwiches we ate most often. So maybe it’s nostalgia, or maybe it’s FLAVOR! Either way, a Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad version of this classic was a must.
The egg salad basics are mayonnaise and mustard, and this version stays true to the crave-worthy, deeply satisfying original. I’ve added dill weed because… YUM! (I’m a little bit dill-obsessed.) But feel free to leave it out if you aren’t a fan. Green onions are another great addition instead of the dill weed if you prefer their flavor and are looking to brighten things up.
Does it taste like chickpeas?
I love chickpeas in an obsessive, “think they’re the greatest things ever” way. But I have to say when it comes to whether or not this sandwich tastes like chickpeas, the answer is… Not really.
The texture of the chickpeas is firmer than eggs, but you have a lot of control over the “firmness” with your food processor. If you like a creamier egg-less salad, just pulse the food processor until you get whatever texture you want. If you keep it running, it will turn this chickpea egg salad into a hummus-like dip.
I’ve done this many times (on purpose) because it’s insanely delicious. If we’re opting for bread instead of carrot sticks though, we tend to keep it on the chunky side. (The bread below is our Unreal No Knead Bread – Whole Wheat. It’s literally the perfect vessel for getting this chickpea salad into your belly.)
The 5 Minute Method
Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad might be the fastest lunch you’ll make from scratch all week. (PS.. it meal preps like a dream because the flavors actually get even BETTER after a day or 2 in the fridge together.)
Prep is this simple:
- Add chickpeas, mayo, mustard, salt, and garlic into your food processor.
- Pulse 3-6 times (or as much as you want depending on how chunky or smooth you prefer).
- Scoop the chickpea salad into a bowl and fold in the dill (or green onions, or skip this step entirely!)
- Spread it on No Knead Bread, wraps, sandwich bread, crackers or use it as a dip for your veggie. (I put mine on cucumbers once a year when I’m feeling like I should be “healthier” and it’s delicious.)
- EAT! Isn’t it nice when lunch takes longer to eat than it does to make?
Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad
- Food processor and spatula
- can opener
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Dried Dill Weed *Fold in at the end
- Add all ingredients except Dill Weed, to the food processor
- Pulse 3-6 times to break up the chickpeas a little bit (the chickpeas should still be chunky – if you over mix it will turn into a dip rather than an "egg salad" texture)
- Remove from the motor and take out the blades of the food processor
- In the food processor or in a mixing bowl if that's easier, fold in the Dried Dill Weed (this stage will also help mix the mayo and mustard evenly if the food processor missed any spots)
- Spoon onto bread, toast, wraps, crackers, cucumbers or anywhere else you like! Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container