I’m a bit obsessed with the Instant Pot lately. Maybe it’s Winter soups, coconut rice, or perfect Chipotle Instant Pot Potatoes. Actually, it’s definitely the potatoes. Hands down, my favorite way to cook potatoes is now in a pressure cooker. I can’t believe I ever made them any other way.
These Instant Pot Potatoes are quick, easy, spicy, and cooked to creamy perfection every single time.
They’re just so EASY and FAST. They take less time and effort than other methods, too. I can’t believe I ever made potatoes that involved boiling before baking or frying. Ugh, the work. Not to mention – the dishes! I’m all about the easier cleanup and I’ll change my cooking methods to accommodate that. Especially when it means potatoes as creamy, soft, and delicious as these.
To cook potatoes in the Instant Pot or any pressure cooker takes only 5 minutes of “cook time”. On top of that, you can budget about 10 minutes for it to get up to pressure, and another 10 minutes to then depressurize after the cooking process. So just because potatoes (or anything) can be pressure cooked for JUST 5 MINUTES, doesn’t mean it will be ready to eat in 5 minutes.
Pressure cookers save us time because we’re not actively involved in the cooking process. We can set them up, turn them on, and go do the laundry or play with the kids. Or just put our feet up and relax until dinner is served. I never do that one, but it sounds like something to try one day.
These Chipotle Instant Pot Potatoes are:
- Cooked to perfection every single time
- Easy to pan-fry afterward if you want them crispy
- Spicy but not “too spicy”
- Prep in 5-10 minutes
- Delicious as a side to any meal
- Make an excellent Potato Salad base once cooled
- Creamy, soft, melt-in-your-mouth nuggets of potato perfection
If you like easy, look no further:
- Lemony Roasted Kale
- Cornmeal Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Oil Free)
- Tamari and Green Onion Chickpeas
- Apple Spinach Salad with Easy Garlic Tahini Dressing
So here they are, our quick and easy Chipotle Instant Pot Potatoes. If you make them – yay! Drop us a comment below and let us know how it went! We hope you love them as much as we do. Enjoy!
Chipotle Instant Pot Potatoes
- Instant pot or pressure cooker with steamer basket insert (mine is green silicone)
- Cutting board and sharp kitchen knife
- Mixing bowl and spatula
- Measuring spoons
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cubed ~900g
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice 1 small lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Chipotle Add more if you like them extra spicy!
- Toss cubed potatoes, olive oil and lemon juice in a mixing bowl until well covered
- Add paprika, garlic, salt and chipotle to the potatoes and toss again until well covered
- Place the steamer basket into the metal pot of your pressure cooker and add 1½ cups of water (Check your owner's handbook to ensure your steamer basket is approved for use in your pressure cooker, and confirm the minimum amount of water needed in your specific model for the pressure cooker to pressurize safely.)
- Add the potatoes to the steamer basket and lock the lid into place on the pressure cooker with the valve set to "sealing"
- Turn on your pressure cooker to cook on high for 5 minutes
- It will take up to ~10 minutes for your pressure cooker to pressurize, and then 5 minutes to cook
- Once your pressure cooker beeps to signal the cook cycle is complete, let it depressurize on its own for 10 minutes (with the Instant Pot it will begin to slowly depressurize on its own after the cook cycle so no need to do anything but watch the time)
- After 10 minutes, place a kitchen towel over the valve on top, and carefully turn the valve to open it and release the rest of the steam *NOTE: The steam is dangerously hot. Place the towel so that it completely covers the valve. Touch the valve through the towel only, so that the steam releases directly into the towel cover and does not come into contact with your skin.
- Once the last of the steam has been released, the floating valve will lower signaling that it is safe to open the lid of the pressure cooker
- Your easy chipotle instant pot potatoes are ready to serve!
- Optional: At this point you can also pan fry the potatoes in 1-2 tbsp of olive oil for a cripsy finish. Just heat up the oil over medium heat in a non stick frying pan, add the potatoes and flip them around every 2-3 minutes to ensure all sides are browned. You can also serve with an additional squirt of fresh lemon for amazing crispy potatoes that work equally well at breakfast and dinner!