I wanted to add some variety to our normal breakfast routine, so I took a chance on chocolate at breakfast. Is that even taking a chance really? I can’t imagine anyone in our house not loving chocolate at breakfast, so Vegan Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies seemed like a no-brainer.
If I was going to make something chocolatey though, I wanted to cram in as much healthy stuff as I could. Oats checked the box for whole grains. Coconut is full of fiber and flavor. And bananas, flax eggs, and peanut butter acted as binders so I could leave the oil out of the recipe completely. Bonus.
Flax eggs tend to be my baking egg substitution of choice. Simply take one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds and mix it with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or until you’re ready for it. As the flax absorbs the water it becomes gel-like. And it works amazingly well as an egg substitute.
How to Make a Flax Egg: 1 tbsp flax : 3 tbsp water
Flaxseeds are a fantastic source of omega 3 fatty acids. They are anti-inflammatory, full of fiber, and have been shown to effectively treat hypertension in at least this one double blind, placebo controlled study. I love to add them to our daily smoothie. But, I’m always looking for more ways to sneak flax into our diets, and flax eggs in baking let me do just that.
Mix-Ins and Substitutions
This is a great recipe for substitutions. The base is soft and super moist. It’s basically a light, puffy, chocolate canvas for your favorite nuts, seeds and other mix-ins.
I LOVE walnuts (yay Omega 3’s) , so I used walnuts in this recipe. Pecans, almonds, peanuts and macadamia nuts and many more would work deliciously as a straight across 1:1 swap. If you love sunflower, pumpkin, or chia seeds, you could easily swap out an equal amount of the nuts or coconut to add in the seeds without changing the ratios of the recipe. If you have extra large bananas, you could even add up to 1/4 cup of seeds without any swaps.
So here they are. Cookies for breakfast. We hope you love these Vegan Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies as much as we do! If you make these, let me know how it goes! I love to hear your tweaks, subs and more! Enjoy!
Looking for more scrumptious breakfast ideas? Try one (or all) of these muffins!
- Vegan Banana Walnut Muffins
- Vegan Apple Cinnamon Muffins (Oil Free, Whole Wheat)
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins (Oil Free)
Vegan Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Lined or greased muffin pan
- Mixing bowl and spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons or a kitchen scale
- 2¼ cups Rolled Oats Use Certified GF if needed
- 1⅓ cups All purpose or spelt flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Flax Eggs 1 tbsp flax mixed with 3 tbsp water, stir and let sit at least 5 mins before adding to recipe
- 2 Mashed Ripe Bananas
- ½ cup Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup Maple syrup or agave syrup
- ⅓ cup Coconut or organic sugar
- ⅓ cup Plant Based Milk of choice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Add dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to evenly combine
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient bowl and stir well to combine
- Fold in chopped walnuts
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to evenly distribute batter between 12 cookies on a lined baking sheet
- Bake 15-18 minutes at 375°F
- Let cool or enjoy while still warm!